Experience rock climbing in the mountains of Summit County with a course designed for novice adventurers who are interested in learning the basics of top-rope rock climbing. Instead of simply sending you up on a top rope, our certified guides progress the group through a curriculum designed to give you the knowledge and skills required to navigate the often intimidating activity of rock climbing. This is an abridged version of the Rock 101 course which will provide you with an overview of the full day course and introduce you to climbing basics.* If you love it, we will be offering 50% on Rock courses throughout the summer to Locals Rock! attendees.
CAG will be donating 100% of the profit to a scholarship fund for our Youth Rock Climbing Camps, creating access to rock climbing education for underprivileged, local families.
Participants must pre-register for this event and can only register for 1 session. Participants must LIVE and WORK in Summit, Lake, Park or Eagle County. Registration will close 48 hours prior to start time. Ages 18 and up.
*Locals Rock! is an informational clinic. You will climb but you may not learn everything you would learn in a full day course.
Students will learn, practice, and build confidence in the following areas:
- Proper fit and function of all personal climbing gear, including harnesses, shoes and helmets
- Efficient climbing movement to move gracefully across the rock
- Learn and rehearse several knots and hitches involved in the climbing system
- Active belay techniques to keep both climber and belayer safe
- Develop a sense of stewardship for your local open spaces
What we provide:
- All rock climbing equipment (shoes, harness, ropes, helmets)
- AMGA certified rock climbing instructors
- A fun and educational day in YOUR National Forest
What you need:
- Water and snacks
- Appropriate clothing for a mountain environment
- Ready-to-learn attitude
2019 Course Dates:
- Monday, June 24 10am-2pm
- Saturday, June 29 10am – 2pm