This ALL-WOMEN Mountaineering Skills course is offered in partnership with Outdoor Women’s Alliance (OWA). Through the lens of human-powered adventure, OWA works to inspire confidence and leadership in women of all ages, believing that confident women have the power to build healthy communities and—quite literally—change the world.
This 2 Day skills course will focus on introducing students to the process of completing a mountaineering objective, from choosing the objective to making and carrying out a trip plan. You will also learn the necessary basic technical skills for traveling in a mountain terrain beyond a traditional hiking trail.
In this course you will develop the following skills:
- Alpine navigation and route finding
- Rope management and belaying
- Snow climbing: ice axe self-arrest and various crampon techniques
- Snow anchors for belaying and rescue
- Efficient movement on snow and rock
- Alpine and crevasse rescue